Thursday, August 4, 2011

Granny Stripe Afghan Tutorial

I had a question over on Ravelry about my Granny Stripe Afghan.  I decided to do a tutorial of a smaller size sample blanket in this pattern taking photos as I go. 

This pattern is worked in multiples of 3.   I am using acrylic yarn and an I hook. 

For this example I have chained 30.

Now turn and work a row of single crochets starting in the 2nd chain from hook.  (total 29)

Next chain 3 then work one double crochet into the second stitch from hook. 

Another Note:  After thinking about this if you started and have the chain 3 and double crochet both in that first stitch, your afghan should still look ok. 

*Skip 2 stitches, 3 DC in next stitch*.  Repeat across until you come to the end.  End with 2 DC in the last stitch on the row. 
NOTE:  This row should begin and end with 2 DC.


Chain 3.  Then:  *Three DC in space.*  Continue across.  Finish the row with a DC in the top stitch of the chain 3 made from the previous row.

As you work the blanket you can see how the first row ends with 2 DCs on each end; next row has 1 DC on each end.  And this pattern repeats throughout.


Here is how I tie on a color.  I cut the blue yarn and pull the loose end through the stitch to make a knot.  Then as shown in the photo I tied the orange yarn on through the space. 


To begin I stick the hook through the space and pull the orange yarn up. Then do 2 DC in the space. Then 3 DCs in each space until the end. Then do 2 DCs in the last space. 

There are no chains between the 3 DC clusters. 


Here are two rows complete on my practice piece. 

This is my afghan so far.  I need to weave those loose yarn ends in before I get much farther. 
Once you get going on this pattern, it is really quick and easy. 

I hope you are doing some crocheting today. 

If you have any questions, please email me:  krugla@gmail.com

Thanks for stopping by for a visit. 

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! I've done granny squares before, but never the strips. I will try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the directions! I saw another one on line, but needed some clarification on the directions.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was trying to follow Lucy's pattern, but between the UK terms and lack of photos, I couldn't understand what she was talking about. Your photo tutorial cleared that right up. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the post, I too couldn't follow Lucy's pattern. I want to make for a US King size bed (76 x 80 in) and was wondering if you could tell me how many stitches I would need to start off as well as balls of yarn. I've looked around the internet and it's just confusing! Thank you for your help

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi LuAnn

    I have just finished my blanket, thank you very much for your useful tutorial.

    Please, visit my blog and you will see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad to find this pattern. I have made several scrap granny square afghans out of left over yarn from other projects. I think this will look cool made out of my left overs too. I love to crochet & anything that works up quickly is always a plus! Thatnks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see your afgan finished if you combined the strip and the squares. Please send photo to celticdrgn7@aol.com please put pic of afgan in subject line so i dont over look it
      Thanks
      Debbie

      Delete
  7. Awesome directions and pictures. I want to do one of these ~when I finish the other project I am working on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to make it all in one color.....would that be the same directions..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made a twin blanket for my granddaughter, then lost my pattern
    So happy to finally find it again

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am new to crochet and I love the granny stripe pattern for a blanket. I have watched several videos and I keep coming to one question. When ending a row with 2 DC they are worked into the space and when a row is ended with 1 DC it is worked into a stitch. Is that the pattern once you get to rows 2 and 4? 2 DC worked into the space at the end and 1 DC worked into a stitch? I hope that makes sense and thank you for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Correction to my previous post (above). Once you get to row 3 and 4, not 2 and 4.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How many stitches across for a a twin bed

    ReplyDelete

Print This Post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10